Sunday, July 25, 2010

831. The more things change...

Italy and Israel are now pieces of my personal history; as is the man who brought me to Israel.

It's been 4 months since I've been back in California. They were four dark, sad, painful and lonely months that I would not like to relive again, but I also wouldn't trade them for the world. "Something's lost, but something's gained," lyrics from Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now, sums it up nicely.

Last week I was in Yosemite for a couple of days. Driving past a long stretch of 20 foot seemingly lifeless and leafless trees--survivors of a fire at least a couple of decades ago--I was reminded of beginnings and endings, and how endless the cycle is.


6 comments:

Sleep Goblin said...

It's nice to see you again, I missed you :)

Janelle Renee said...

Thank you, Sleep Goblin. It's nice to be back. :)

Ken Houghton said...

Well, at least now we know what your first novel will involve.

Any chance of Louisville, or are you settled in CA for better or worse?

Janelle Renee said...

Ken: Oh, I have stories, but I don't think I've an adequate ending for a novel just yet.

Louisville--out. It's a little too spread out and I'm sick of my car. I am thinking about Boulder though, or perhaps a return to Italy.

What to do.

Mike said...

I'm thinking this means that California is where you're meant to be.

Janelle Renee said...

Mike: I am starting to think the same thing.